Click on the thumbnail to see a larger picture
Captain of the early Lymington River Sailing Club (1914)
Captain H H Nicholson gathered together sailing people of like minds to race Prams in the River back in the spring of 1914.
He organised a weekly series of races from 15th May to 15th August. There were 18 members of this embryo Lymington River Sailing Club.
The Club Captain was Captain H. H. Nicholson, Hon Secretary & Treasurer was Major A. O. L. Kindersley, Lady member was Mrs R L Bayliss and Rev F. S. Trevor-Garrick. Before the Club’s first Annual General Meeting was held, the world went mad.
On August 4th, the Great War erupted.
Founder of the R Lym YC
Commodore 1922 to 1936 Admiral 1934 to 1941 and 1946 to 1953 Born 16 November 1877, Eton, R.Welsh Fusileers 1895-99, 10th Hussars 1899-1905, South African War medal (four clasps), Capt. King’s R.Rifles 1909-12, 10th Husaars ADC to Maj-General, Assistant Military Secretary to Cavalry Corps, Mentioned in Dispatches three times, Croix de Chevalier 5th class, Legion d’Honneur. Contested 3 Parliamentary Elections 1906, 1910. HM Corps of Gentlemen 1919. Recreations; yachting, shooting, cricket. Clubs: Orleans, Turf, Bucks, MCC, RYS, Solent, R.Victoria, Lymington
Responsible for finally obtaining the Royal title for the RLymYC in 1938
Founder Member of the R Lym YC Rear Commodore 1922 to 1925, Vice Commodore 1925 to 1937 Commodore through the whole of World War II to 1946. The first Lady Commodore of a Royal Club in UK
John Bence (2004 – 2007)
Rear Commodore Sailing 2000 – 2003 Commodore 2004 to 2007